Frauds aplenty in the Penny Press!

It was a positive relief to escape from the now-deafening barrage of periodical commentary on the 2012 U.S. presidential election (my last ’12 election went very poorly – I’m hoping for better this time around) by leaping into the jam-packed pages of last week’s New York. There I found some first-rate movie-reviewing from David Edelstein, specifically his estimation of a movie called Flight which I will never see. The whole review is superb, but this estimation of the peculiar acting style of Denzel Washington stands out:

There’s something eerily self-absorbed about Washington. He’s not an actor who opens himself up – you never quite feel you know him, underneath. But that’s why his onscreen explorations of control and its opposite feel so right, so true to who he is as a performer and a man. When you watch Joaquin Phoenix in The Master, you see the Method at its most perilous and wobbly: you see an actor who has lost control as an actor and with it the ability to shape his performance. … But Washington takes [his character in Flight] Whip to another level. Despite the script’s overfamiliar beats (yes, there are twelve-step meetings), he anatomizes Whip’s existential seesaw. He break’s Whip’s – and his own – cool into pieces, the good and the bad, the supremely potent and the supremely impotent. This is a titanic performance.

The cover piece in this issue is equally good stuff: Benjamin Wallace’s article on the explosive ubiquity of Asperger’s Syndrome, on the seemingly all-encompassing breadth of “the spectrum.” Wallace writes an extremely clean line of high-octane glossy-prose (six beats per sentence, instead of the boring old two) that can be both thrilling and exhausting to read:

Like the actual clinical disorder, the cultural epidemic in scare quotes may have less to do with changes in the world than with changes in those seeing it. To some degree, the spectrum is our way of making sense of an upended social topography, a buckled landscape where nerd titans hold the high ground once occupied by square-jawed captains of industry, a befuddling digital world overrun with trolls and avatars and social-media “rock stars” who are nothing like actual rock stars. It is, as the amateur presidential shrinks would have it, a handy phrase for the distant, cerebral men with the ambition and self-possession necessary to mount a serious run for the White House. When quants and engineers are ascendant, when algorithms trump the liberal arts, when Kim Kardashian and Justin Bieber tweet about the death of Steve Jobs, when the hyperspecialist has displaced the generalist and everyone is Matrix-ed into the Internet, it’s an Other-deriding tool to soothe our cultural anxiety about the ongoing power shift from humanists to technologists. As the coders inherit the Earth, saying someone’s on the spectrum is how English majors make themselves feel better.

But he’s got a style for summary that forgives a great many excesses (about the casual tossing-around of “Asperger’s” as a descriptive term, he writes, “At the same time it soothes the insecurities of those who would weaponize it as an insult, it flatters the vanity of those who’d appropriate it as status credential”)(if this isn’t the same “Ben Wallace-Wells” who wrote the damningly memorable “The Romney Economy,” they’ve had equally good English composition teachers), and his story here is utterly fascinating, for all that it no longer exercises me the way it once might have. I haven’t missed any of 2012′s Penny Press reportage on the 14 trillion dollar U.S. pharma-psychology racket, so when Wallace reports that before 1980, one in 2000 kids was diagnosed with some Asperger’s, I can almost predict what he’ll write next. Sure enough: by 2007, it was one in 152 American children, and by 2009 it was one in 110, and in 2012 it’s (very temporarily) at one in 88.

Since such increases can’t in any even vague sense of the word be real, my reading in 2012 has been more than sufficient to convince me of what my instincts might have told me anyway: that none of this is real. The description of this ‘disorder’ in the latest DSM is actually uproariously funny – it’s as open-ended an evocation of the human condition as anything since Pope’s “Essay on Man”; there’s simply no way anyone could read it and not think parts of it applied to themselves. It is, in other words, a breathtakingly cynical wholesale invention of the pharmaceutical industry, unsubstantiated by anything other than the fact that some kids are awkward and some adults are jerks.

Ironic, then, that “a little Asperger’s” has been used so often to describe the subject of another great piece in this issue, Boris Kachka’s article on the downfall of ersatz wunderkind Jonah Lehrer, hyper-precocious author of the best-selling Proust Was a Neuroscientist, among other things. Lehrer was recently caught ‘self-plagiarizing’ – re-using chunks of prose in one venue that he’d already used in other venues. And from then on, things just got worse, as Kachka reports:

… journalists found several more recycled posts, setting off a feeding frenzy one blogger called the “Google Game” – find a distinctive passage, Google it: pay dirt. On Wednesday, the irascible arts blogger Ed Champion unleashed an 8,000-word catalogue of previously published story material Lehrer had worked into Imagine. (Never mind that drawing on earlier stories for book projects is standard practice.) It was called “The Star Report o the Lehrer Affair.”

The resulting picture certainly looks bleak for Lehrer:

… Jonah Lehrer is known as a fabricator, a plagiarist, a reckless recycler. He’s cut-and-pasted not just from his own stories but from at least one from another journalist; he’s invented or conflated quotes; and he’s reproduced big errors even after sources pointed them out. His publisher, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, will soon conclude a fact-check of his three books, the last of which, Imagine, was recalled from bookstores – a great expense for a company that, like all publishing houses, can’t afford to fact-check most books in the first place. In the meantime, he’s been completely ostracized. It’s unclear if he’ll ever write for a living again.

The whole fiasco has been blogged about by wiser heads than mine (and the whole thing strikes me – as so many things do – as the product of simple laziness: Lehrer isn’t an idiot – he was simply unwilling to take the time to vary the stuff he’d previously written for its new home; although accusations of plagiarizing others are of course a whole ‘nother ball game), but what I especially like about Kachka’s piece is how he stretches the story of Lehrer’s downfall to include a much broader indictment of the junk science vogue that currently has board rooms and international ‘conferences’ in its grip – junk science that promises quick, easy, pre-packaged Insight in the place of study, inference, and verification:

The Insight is less of an idea than a conceit, a bit of alchemy that transforms minor studies into news, data into magic. Once the Insight is in place – Blink, Nudge, Free, The World Is Flat – the data become scaffolding. It can go in the book, along with any caveats, but it’s secondary. The purpose is not to substantiate but to enchant.

He might have added to that list plenty of other equally infuriating Insights, from Superfreakonomics to Outliers to Strange Loops to Microtrends (and the apocalyptically conference-ready delusion that the human race is becoming less violent with time), and it’s nice to see them coming in for some of the collateral blame.

Although if Jonah Lehrer ever were genuinely wanting for writing-outlets, he could always email me at Open Letters. By now I suspect he himself is fact-checking even his prepositions, so I don’t foresee a problem.

17 Comments to Frauds aplenty in the Penny Press!

1. car's Gravatar car
    November 20, 2012 at 6:54 am | Permalink

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I to find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I’m hoping to offer one thing again and help others like you aided me.

2. February 13, 2013 at 1:22 am | Permalink

Categorize this one as you will. I’m going with weird.

3. May 28, 2014 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

I’ve been smoking Green Smoke for about 10 days now. The vapor production is equal across all the flavors, and I’ve tried them all. I prefer the light level, Smooth Chocolate, Menthol Ice and Red Label (my favorite). The Red Label is slightly sweet, slightly nutty, and very good. The Menthol Ice is nicely minty, though i wish it had more of a spearmint flavor to it. The Smooth Chocolate is exactly what it sounds like, smooth and chocolaty. I’ve tried the others, and the Vanilla is very nice, though it burns through rather quickly. I didn’t particularly like the Straight Tobacco very much, but that’s a matter of taste. I have yet to try the Tobacco Gold, but I very much look forward to it.

4. June 3, 2014 at 7:07 am | Permalink

I’m enjoying your blogs!

5. June 17, 2014 at 1:51 am | Permalink

I don

6. June 17, 2014 at 7:36 am | Permalink

I am truly delighted to read this weblog posts which
    contains plenty of useful data, thanks for providing such
    information.

7. June 17, 2014 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Your method of telling everything in this paragraph is genuinely nice, every one can without difficulty
    know it, Thanks a lot.

8. June 18, 2014 at 4:37 am | Permalink

The reason that this place is called “slip,” is because it never
    really existed; that is the land on which the
    building stands used to be a place where ships
    would unload their cargo. Currently only saline can be obtained while using the TUBA technique.
    So, to add visual appeal and to make a kitchen customized and modular, it is necessary that
    you should take valuable advice, guidance and services of expert and experienced kitchen designers that know what is expected
    and demanded by their clients when they reach to their doorsteps to solve their problems in an amicable way and
    get their specific needs and wants fulfilled.

9. June 18, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

I think this is one of the such a lot important info for me.

And i’m happy studying your article. However wanna remark on some common things, The website taste is great, the articles is in point of fact
    great : D. Good activity, cheers

10. June 21, 2014 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Anyone who says that Facebook, Twitter, My – Space, and so on really are a ‘trend’ that will soon pass just isn’t
    steering you inside right direction. Tell your visitors well in advance where the following art show, craft market or gallery showing
    will be. For example in case you operate a weightloss nutrition practice consider partnering up having a exercise website.

my blog post … centraldispatch.com (Kian)

11. June 21, 2014 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Good post. I learn something new and challenging on sites
    I stumbleupon on a daily basis. It’s always exciting to read through content from
    other authors and practice a little something from other web sites.

12. July 4, 2014 at 6:25 am | Permalink
  13. July 4, 2014 at 6:25 am | Permalink

Thanks for the new stuff you have disclosed in your article. One thing I want to reply to is that FSBO human relationships are built eventually. By bringing out yourself to owners the first saturday and sunday their FSBO can be announced, prior to masses commence calling on Thursday, you produce a good association. By sending them tools, educational resources, free accounts, and forms, you become the ally. If you take a personal desire for them in addition to their problem, you produce a solid network that, on most occasions, pays off when the owners decide to go with a broker they know and also trust – preferably you actually.

14. July 5, 2014 at 4:53 am | Permalink

Hello there! This blog post could not be written any better!
    Looking through this article reminds me of my
    previous roommate! He constantly kept talking about this. I
    most certainly will forward this post to him. Fairly certain he’ll have a good
    read. I appreciate you for sharing!

15. July 8, 2014 at 6:55 am | Permalink

Thanks for the suggestions you have shared here. Moreover, I believe there are several factors which really keep your auto insurance premium straight down. One is, to take into account buying motors that are inside good set of car insurance firms. Cars that are expensive are usually more at risk of being snatched. Aside from that insurance policies are also in line with the value of your truck, so the more pricey it is, then the higher the actual premium you have to pay.

16. July 20, 2014 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering
    if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter
    updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe
    you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me
    know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your
    blog and I look forward to your new updates.

17. July 23, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Hi there, I believe your site could be having web browser compatibility issues. When I take a look at your site in Safari, it looks fine however, if opening in Internet Explorer, it’s got some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to give you a quick heads up! Aside from that, great blog.

1 Trackback to Frauds aplenty in the Penny Press!

1. By on July 24, 2014 at 12:01 am